Sunday, 24 April 2011

What are you reading? (Mailbox Monday # 4)

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. It's a fun meme where we gather to share what we've read last week and our reading plans for this week.


Mailbox Monday is a weekly meme that was created by Marcia at The Printed Page, who graciously hosted it for a long, long time, before turning it into a touring meme (details here).  It is hosted at Passages to the Past for the month of April. As well as In my mailbox hosted by The Story Siren

***

I'm currently reading - The gathering by Kelley Armstorng

I am nearly finished and I have really enjoyed it although it did have a lot of build up until the story started to develop. 

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can’t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students—for every grade from kindergarten to twelve.

Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya's determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya's home, and they won’t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts getting negative vibes from certain people and things. It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret—and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark.



***


I'v just finished the last in the series that started with The forest of hands and teeth - The Dark and hollow places. 


(Review to follow shortly)


Click HERE for the review of The forest of hands and teeth (#1) by Carrie Ryan 
and
Click HERE for the review of The dead tossed waves (#2) by Carrie Ryan


***




Next up is definitely - The making of us by Lisa Jewell. I am really looking forward to starting this one, I have loved some of Lisa Jewell's other books.








Also Last week I reviewed The Disengagement Ring by Clodagh Murphy - Click HERE to read it




***
Last week I was lucky enough to win a copy of Across the Universe by Beth Revis from Megan at Reading the days away

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


***

I also bought The Red Queen by Philipa Gregory (the second in the series of the cousins war - The first being The White Queen, which I loved).


The second book in Philippa's stunning new trilogy, The Cousins War, brings to life the story of Margaret Beaufort, a shadowy and mysterious character in the first book of the series - The White Queen - but who now takes centre stage in the bitter struggle of The War of the Roses. The Red Queen tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, who, although widowed in her early teens, uses her determination of character and wily plotting to infiltrate the house of York under the guise of loyal friend and servant, undermine the support for Richard III and ultimately ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, triumphs as King of England. Through collaboration with the dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret agrees a betrothal between Henry and Elizabeth's daughter, thereby uniting the families and resolving the Cousins War once and for all by founding of the Tudor dynasty.

***
I also received for review - Thanks to Novelicious

The making of us by Lisa Jewell

In a hospice in Bury St Edmunds, a man called Daniel is slowly fading away. His friend Maggie sits with him every day; she holds his hand and she listens to the story of his life, to his regrets and to his secrets. And then he tells her about the children he has never met and never will. He talks of them wistfully. His legacy, he calls them.

Lydia, Dean and Robyn don't know each other. Yet. And they are all facing difficult changes. Lydia is still wearing the scars from her traumatic childhood and although she is wealthy and successful, her life is lonely and disjointed. Dean is a young man, burdened with unexpected responsibility, whose life is going nowhere. And Robyn wants to be a doctor, just like her father – a man she's never met. But is her whole life built on an illusion?

Three people leading three very different lives. All lost. All looking for something. But when they slowly find their way into each other’s lives, everything starts to change …

AND

Will you still love me tomorrow by Claudia Carroll


Absence makes the heart grow fonder…doesn’t it?
What happens when two people decide to give themselves the year off…from each other?
Annie and Dan were the perfect couple. But now the not-so-newly weds feel more like flatmates than soul mates and wonder where all the fun and fireworks went …
When Annie lands her big break in a smash-hit show that’s heading for the bright lights of Broadway, she’s over the moon. Goodbye remote Irish village of Stickens, hello fabulous Big Apple! But with their relationship already on the rocks, how will Annie and Dan survive the distance?
They’re hitting the pause button on their marriage. One year off from each other – no strings attached, except a date to meet in twelve months at the Rockefeller Centre to decide their fate.
Will they both turn up? Or is it too late for love?


40 comments:

  1. Holy smokes you have a voracious appetite for books!

    I look forward to reading your reviews on them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some great titles! Thanks for some suggestions I will add to my every growing TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think The Making of Us sounds good and I enjoyed your review of The Disengagement Ring. I think I have a copy of it but haven't read it yet. I'll need to move it up the TBR stack. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful books this week! Hope you enjoy them all :). New follower! Happy Reading,

    Zakiya @ Butterfly Feet Walking on Life & For the L♥ve of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, looks like some good books! I love the covers; they're so different from ones in the USA, but still awesome!

    New follower! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great week!

    Nora, The Bookery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really looking forward to your review of The Dark and Hollow Places (because I haven't gotten into that series at all yet, and want to peek at whether you like it or not!) and also of The Red Queen (because I read The White Queen and swore off Philippa Gregory forever!).
    Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, The Gathering looks good! And I need to pick up a copy of The Dark and Hollow Places, but I still have to read Dead-Tossed Waves, which is sitting in a stack of books, waiting patiently...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark and Hollow places was a great read. I can't wait to get The Gathering! Awesome books this week--enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great collection of books you have! Hope you enjoy them all.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost bought The Gathering. I had it in my hands at BN but I could only get 2 books and I had to get Zombies Vs Unicorns, and Enclave. I am so going back soon to get the Gathering, or at least order it online :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you got quite a bit of books this week! Happy Reading!

    My Monday wrapup post goes up tomorrow, but here's my IMM

    Happy Easter! (if you're celebrating, Have a GREAT day either way!)

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh. I'd completely lost track of Lisa Jewell, but I remember a time when I had her books shipped across the pond from England. You're going to love The Gathering. At least, I did. I'm dying over the fact that book two doesn't come out until 2012. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to read The Red Queen also!
    jbdownie5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier. You have a lot of great-sounding books this week! I've got several of these on my own TBR list. I hope you have a good week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read The Gathering!! It looks so good! Dark and Hollow Places was my favorite out of the series. Can't wait to see what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great books!!!! I loved reading Across the Universe, hope you enjoy it as much as I did =)

    Ange

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved The Gathering and Across the Universe was fascinating. I hope you are enjoying all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh - I've had The Red Queen on my wish list for quite a while. :) That is one that I think would be great for our book club.

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cover of Dark and Hollow Places looks kinda like Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden. The Gathering and Across the Universe are both awesome. Great books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a couple of Lisa Jewell books waiting in the wings for when i have got through some of my TBR list! I know its bad to judge a book by its cover but it is quite nice!

    I've also heard good things about the red queen but it is not my sort of book - i hope it is a good read.

    Just working on my Monday post now!

    Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some great looking titles there and a good mix.

    Enjoy ur reading week

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great IMM! I really want Across the Universe. Hope you enjoy all of them.

    Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you enjoy your new books! My book club is going to read one of Phillipa Gregory's books in a few months, but I'm not sure which one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So, are you liking THE GATHERING? I've read the first trilogy and have it on my Kindle. I'll probably try to get to it on my vacation. Nice bunch of books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I see you also share my passion for Tess Gerritsen. I love her Rizzoli and Isles book as well as some of her medical thrillers. Have you read The Bone Garden? It's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have the Red Queen and the White Queen both sitting on my shelves...some day soon I hope to get to both of them.

    Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm off to read some of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Kelley Armstrong. I hope all your books are wonderfu land that you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the sound of Across the Universe, it's been on my wish list for awhile :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Kelly Armstrong's books, I should read more of them :)
    Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  30. You've got some fun books! I've been seeing The Gathering everywhere. I will wait for the reviews before I read it. Enjoy all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Across the Universe is wonderful. I hope you get a chance to read it soon. I'm excited for the next one to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Gathering looks very good. I look forward to your review on it. Enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice week in books. Across The Universe is one I want to read just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Coming up I'll be reading a Harry Harrison book, more manga, more assigned reading for school and whatever else strikes my fancy. Come see what I finished this week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like you've got some interesting books this week! Hope you enjoy them all. I'm excited to start The Gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoyed The Red Queen. You have some great books here, and quite a variety. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for visiting NotJustReading. I'll be watching for your review of The Red Queen - I really want to try some Philippa Gregory :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, my goodness, what a great reading week for you! (as I shamefacedly admit that I haven't yet even BOUGHT The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I think I will now just buy them altogether). Enjoy your upcoming reading as well!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I find this so neat! All of your covers are so different than mine .. UK to Canada I guess. So neat =) I have just recently read The Forest of Hands and Teeth and need to get my hands on the other two!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Through the Looking Glass kit by Irene Alexeeva