Monday, 4 July 2011

DNF Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. 
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.



I really hate when I don’t finish a book, I feel like I’ve failed in some respects and I always wonder if I had just kept on reading only a few more pages would the story have picked up and turned the whole reading experience around for me? I ended up reading under half of this book (I think 1 page under) when I decided to put it down and move onto something else, something that I hoped I would enjoy more.

There were quite a few things that I didn’t care for in the book, I especially found that the character of Henry was a huge disappointment for me. When I think about Hades, I think he would make a smouldering, hot, intense character who was so much more of a bad guy than the sweet, quiet and reserved interpretation Aimee Carter had chosen to portray. Granted I don’t know a huge amount about Greek Mythology, but I do know a fair amount and I felt a bit cheated about some of the characters – maybe if I didn’t already have expectations then this might not have been such a problem. 


Although I didn’t enjoy this book, all you have to do is have a quick look around to see that I am probably in the minority as I have read positive review, after positive review about The Goddess Test. Some people really loved the story, but for me it all just all fell a bit flat and wasn’t gripping enough to make me want to read on.

From what I did read the writing was good, I even liked a few of the characters and some of the sub plots were panning out to be interesting, so I definitely won’t say that I wouldn’t read Aimee Carter in the future, but I doubt I will ever pick up this book or this series again.

One thing that I will say is that The Goddess Test does have an absolutely fabulous cover, that alone made me want to read the book.

This review was not meant to be harsh, not every book out there is suited to every reader. If you loved this book then great, it just wasn’t for me.

 




Genre – YA, Greek mythology
Published by Mira Books (Sept 2011)
Paperback – 304 pages (£6.99)
I received a copy of ‘The Goddess Test’ by Aimee Carter in exchange for an honest review.

11 comments:

  1. I've read such mixed reviews on this one! I still really want to give it a go though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't enjoy this one much either, and, like you, Henry hugely disappointed me. I found him so boring. I was expecting sexy and dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also been seeing mixed reviews on this one. I got a copy through R.A.K. last month so I'm going to give it a try. But I think I'll move it down my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bummer! This one is getting mixed reviews lately. I personally loved it! I thought it was a change of pace in some of the other YA's I've been reading. Oh well. Hope you love your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its always sad when you didn't finish a book-especially one that a lot of people love. I quite liked it, but it's in no way my favourite read of the year.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed it, but I didn't really much knowledge of the Greek myths going into it, so I didn't have expectations of the characters. It's too bad you didn't enjoy it, but you still had a very classy review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See! Marmite book! I did love it, but my knowledge of Hades was minimal, so it appealed to me. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't like it. We can't all love the same books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard such mixed reveiews about this one. I'm kind of torn as to whether or not to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's too bad! I liked it, but see where you are coming from. I have read tons of Hades and Persephone stories lately, I'm ready for a really good one, these YA aren't really giving me what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree about Henry...and I didn't even realize it until I read this! (Loved the book too much to think about it, I guess.) Now that I think about it, I wish he had been more dangerous and sizzling.

    Anyways, I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected. I'm glad you shared your feelings, though. I love hearing different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jules! i actually like TGT. Have you read Abandon by Meg Cabot? Hades is different there, i think u myt like him :) thanks for visitng my site!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Through the Looking Glass kit by Irene Alexeeva