Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the centre of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. 
So much for normal.



“Wait – did you – You just yawned!” The Vampire’s arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. “What, imminent death isn’t exciting enough for you?”

Before I had even read the first few pages of Paranormalcy by Kiersten White I had really high expectations after seeing words like hilarious, original, awesome from other reviewers that I trust. So I was hugely taken aback when I first started reading Paranormalcy and I wasn’t sure that I liked it. I was worried that Evie would be a tad annoying with her exuberance for all things pink and sparkly, including her very pink Taser that she lovingly refers to as ‘Tasey’! However, that was only a momentary worry, after a few more pages I really liked Evie and after a few chapters I loved her. She is wonderfully sweet and even innocent in a world where her daily routine involves capturing the odd vampire and hanging out with werewolves and other supernatural beings. Usually paranormal books can be quite dark and paranormalcy was refreshingly light but still really gripping.

Paranormalcy was one of the best written books I’ve read in a while, the prose really flowed effortlessly, while the pace was perfect and it made for great reading. When I started this book I really couldn’t put it down, Kiersten White has managed to come up with an original story and more unique characters in what has become a rather clichéd (but still good) genre of YA.

There really are a lot of plus points for this book including a love triangle with a difference. I absolutely loved Lend, although he may not have the best name (however well chosen it might be) he was certainly a memorable character and one of my favourites so far in the paranormal romance genre. Of course the love triangle wouldn’t be complete without Reth the rather high maintenance heart stoppingly good looking faerie who is out to steal Evie’s heart, but maybe not just in the literal sense.

If you haven’t read this one yet then I definitely recommend it, Kiersten White has really managed to blend the right amount of light hearted characterisation, a love triangle with a difference and one of the best plots I’ve read in the paranormal genre in a while. Highly recommended.

I can’t wait to read the next one in the series!! Kiersten White has moved to the top of my must read writers’ list.

 10/10


Genre – YA, paranormal
Published by HaperCollins Childrens (Jan 2011)
Paperback – 335 pages (£6.99)

The next in the series Supernaturally – Will be released in Paperback in the UK - Jan 2012

22 comments:

  1. Supernaturally (the sequel) is on par with the first one, it doesn't read at all like a sequel. One of the few authors that definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear(well, read!) as I have Paranormalacy waiting to be read on my shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Paranormalcy! I really liked Evie too - can't wait to read the sequel! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read this! It's on my kindle, and it's had such dazzling reviews but a friend of mine didn't like it so now I'm not sure. I will read it eventually though. thanks forthe review!!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Paranormalcy; I liked it more than I thought I would! Great review.

    Visiting everyone on the Campaign list; looking forward to Campaigning with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was gifted a copy of this and although I haven't read it yet, I'm rather looking forward to it as Evie sounds more and more like such a fun character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Really makes me want to start reading this one now. :) I've heard some great things about this book and your review was so honest and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Fellow campaigner here :) btw, Paranormalcy is one of my books!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this book and can't wait until the next one! Stopping by from the Campaign to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm a fellow campaigner checking out the blogs. I like the layout of yours. It's very artistic. Did you make the pics yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I've been wondering about this book and definitely want to read it now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi - fellow Campaigner here. Love your blog design!! See you out there....

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHEW. When I first started reading this review, I thought it was going to be negative. I don't really know what to say to someone who doesn't like this book...

    Glad you liked it though! :) I like that in the love triangle, Evie is very clear about who she likes and not just casually switching between them. Not even sure if it's really a love triangle.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the blog....

    you don't have anyway to like/follow though and i would like to. Anyway have added your link to my blog.


    I’m doing the rounds so to speak! I’m following, Facebook liking (because we all like that…) Goggle + finding and saying hello 

    Have a great time in the Campaign

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok IGNORE last comment on the third refresh your google followers came up. Don't panic it would have been my terrible computer... have now followed.

    happy Campaigning

    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay- I loved Paranormalcy, and can't wait to start reading Supernaturally!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this, I must get to it!

    Look the look of your blog.

    Now a new follower after seeing you on Readaraptor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review - I'll have to look that one up. I'm a new follower from your campaign group, just stopping by to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by on the campaign trail. I've heard only good things about this book and have added it to my wishlist! I'll be posting a brief intro for fellow campaigners on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just another campaigner dropping by to say hello! I've heard lot of good things about Paranormalcy. Haven't had time to get to it myself but on it's on the list!

    (Ironically, my cousin has a pink taser!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review. I loved this one as well. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I started reading this a few months ago and I just couldn't get into it. No idea why. :S

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Through the Looking Glass kit by Irene Alexeeva