Friday, 6 January 2012

Book Review: My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent






Trying to work things out with Nash—her maybe boyfriend—is hard enough for Kaylee Cavanaugh. She can’t just pretend nothing happened. But “complicated” doesn’t even begin to describe their relationship when his ex-girlfriend transfers to their school, determined to take Nash back. See, Sabine isn’t just an ordinary girl. She’s a mara, the living personification of a nightmare. She can read people’s fears—and craft them into nightmares while her victims sleep. Feeding from human fear is how she survives. And Sabine isn’t above scaring Kaylee and the entire school to death to get whatever—and whoever—she wants.



My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent is the fourth book in the hugely popular paranormal YA Soul Screamers series.


My Soul to Steal introduces a new character, Nash's ex-girlfriend Sabine. Sabine is a Mara, meaning that she is capable of influencing and controlling other peoples nightmares - she feeds from the fear. However, it isn't her paranormal powers that cause most of the problem but her obsession with winning Nash back, she wants him all to herself and is willing to play dirty to make that happen.  


My only major complaint with this book was that sections of it felt overly repetitious. Kaylee and Sabine fight A LOT as you would expect when they are both interested in the same guy, well sort of. This book has quite a complicated love triangle going on, Nash loves Kaylee, Kaylee is still unsure of how she feels about Nash after his behaviour in the previous book, while Sabine an ex girlfriend desperately wants to be back and centre stage in Nash's life. It's all very complicated and does take up a large section of this book. It wasn't that I disliked any of the love triangle story but it just sometimes felt like the same things were being said, and said and said again. 


I think what makes these books really stand out is the great range of characters, I adore Tod - Nash's Grim Reaper brother. I really love Emma, Kaylee's normal human best friend and I like all the other family members that make these books memorable. There is also a host of baddies that make me want to stay well and truly out of the Netherworld. 


Rachel Vincent also has a great writing style and is one of my all time favourite authors. Her writing just flows effortless and I always end up reading far more pages than I had initially intended to. The Soul Screamer series is a series that I've pretty much been reading one after the other - which is something that I don't do often, I tend to want to break up reading sequential books so that I don't get tired of the characters or writing. 

Although this wasn’t my favourite book in the series, I really can’t WAIT to read the next one - Until I Die. I have already pre-ordered it and having read some of the rave reviews from some of my American friends I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic book.


Recommended. If you haven't read this series yet then I really recommend that you start - it's one of my favourites! But, this is a series best read in order!




Genre - YA, paranormal romance
Published in the UK by Mira Ink (July 2011)
Paperback - £6.99 (386 pages)
Source -I bought my copy of 'My Soul to Steal' by Rachel Vincent 

11 comments:

  1. yea i need 2 read this one/stop torturing me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roro - LOL :) READ it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first 4 books in this series...but I haven't them yet! I will - I promise! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel - I hope you enjoy them as much as I have, they are just really easy books to read. I know the feeling of having just too many books and not near enough time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book swayed me to Team Tod. I used to love Nash, but I just don't know anymore! I'm leaning toward Tod now, and from what I've heard about book 5, I think I'll be even more Tod than ever :P. Great review, glad you enjoyed it :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I skimmed cause I haven't read the series yet, but I have the first two and I MUST start them soon! So many people LOVE them! So glad to see another recommendation for this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe I STILL need to start this series?!?! I've heard nothing but good about it and I just love the covers! I love the fact that you said there is a great range of characters and a good writing style!!!Now I wanna pick it up even more :) Great review!!!

    Happy Holidays!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I feel the exact same way! The Soul Screamers series is one of my favourites ever, but this book was my least favourite in the series, I think, a lot because of the things that you mentioned! But I still love the way Rachel Vincent writes her characters and story too, and oh my gosh, you definitely need to read If I Die soon -- I think that one was my favourite! x)

    Awesome review, Jules! Does that mean you're Team Tod? Because I definitely am too! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really should start this series soon. I have the first two on my shelf waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the first two books in this series...i really need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read this entire series and have absoloutely loved each and everyone. My least favourite would have to be the third, My Soul to Keep. I'm just about to pre-oder If I die, the sequel to this one!! Can't wait to read it x

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Through the Looking Glass kit by Irene Alexeeva