Monday, 5 March 2012

Another Meh read but yet I'm still itching for more - Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick - Mini Review -






Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar. 

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadnt been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something. 

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperately searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.


Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick is the second book in the Hush, Hush series. I enjoyed Hush, Hush, but I thought it really was only in the end that it picked up and had me hooked to find out more. Sadly, this book was the same sort of meh experience. 

The Pros

  • ·         The writing was good – there where points that really had me rushing to read onwards as I was swept up in the flow of the story.
  • ·         I still want to read more – but I’ve had Silence sitting in my TBR pile for a while now and although I am looking forward to reading it, I seem to keep bumping it downwards for other books.

The Cons

  • ·         Most of the book was rather dull.
I thought the first three quarters of the book was just ‘ok’, interesting enough that I never thought about putting the book down but it wasn’t until the last third of the book that I was much more glued to the page and the last few chapters I just couldn’t read fast enough to find out what was happening. But, really I need a book to be great most of the way through and not just concentrate on having all the twists and drama at the end.

  • ·         The plot was predictable and I think Nora is a rather clichéd/cookie cutter character. 
  • ·         I also still didn’t entirely love patch but I liked him more in this book than I did in the last.

Overall, I would tentatively recommend this series but it isn’t as good as some of the other YA angel paranormal stories out there, but nonetheless I am definitely going to be reading the next book in the series – Silence. I can't be the only person out there to be weirdly addicted to a series that they aren't completely enjoying?!?!?

If I had to sum up Crescendo I’d say it had a slow beginning, dwindling middle, but with an ending that left me desperate for more - even I can't exactly pin point why :)

So many people seem to LOVE this series and I have to say that I just don’t get it, is it good? Yes. Is it great? No.





Have you read this? What did you think? Should I just stop worrying about more disappointment and pick up silence?



Genre – YA, Angel
Published by Simon and Schuster (Oct 2010)
Paperback – 427 pages (£6.99)
Source – I bought a copy Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

4 comments:

  1. People keep telling me Crescendo is the worst of the series, and that Silence is even better then Hush, Hush. I only gave Hush, Hush 2 stars though, so I don't imagine I will personally find Silence that much more redeeming.

    But like you, for some reason, I have an itch to keep reading this series. I haven't actually picked up a copy of Silence yet, but I imagine some day when I find it discounted for like $5, I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the last of Hush, Hush too. I haven't gone out of my way to purchase the other books though, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I feel the same way about this one too. It was alright and the ending left me needing more. I actually like Vy a bit more than Nora but I love Patch! Great assessment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really liked Crescendo and really, really didn't like Silence. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Through the Looking Glass kit by Irene Alexeeva